[Wikipedia-l] Spanish Wikipedia; Negotiation

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Fri Oct 4 01:23:27 UTC 2002

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>Daniel Mayer wrote:

>>6) State that we have no intention of ever removing es.wikipedia.com but we
>>could point that URL to the Seville server is they wish to stay on that
>>server.

>I don't think this is acceptable.  Without sever unity, there is no
>way for us to enforce openness.  If they start to ban people for
>political reasons, forming a 'cabal', we would be powerless to stop
>them.

And they would be powerless to stop you.

You want to maintain ultimate control over any [[es:]].
The whole point of the fork is that they don't want you
to maintain ultimate control over their enciclopedia.
This is a pretty significant impasse.

When we get a nonprofit set up, will you maintain ultimate control?
Or will the nonprofit raise funds and pay you for server usage?
If you won't maintain ultimate control anymore,
then that would be the time to approach EL.

-- Toby