[Wikipedia-l] French dictionary-like entires (was: spanish wikipedia)

tarquin tarquin at planetunreal.com
Thu Oct 3 22:42:40 UTC 2002

Ray Saintonge wrote:

>>   A year ago, Larry Sanger was very clear on the point that
>> "Wikipedia is not a dictionary".  So if the French Wikipedia is
>> becoming a dictionary, somebody is breaking this rule.  Either the
>> French Wikipedia should straight up, or the rule should be revised.
>> Since it is the trademark owner's (Jimmy's) interest to make sure the
>> trademark keeps its meaning, he should appoint ambassadors who can
>> help him maintain his policy in the various languages.
>>
> If the French Wikipedia feels that it is appropriate to include being
> a dictionary that's their business.  I don't see the need for them to
> be bound by one of Larry's rules from a year ago when thay had no
> opportunity to participate in its development.

It would be worth noting at this point that in France the distinction
between "Dictionary" and "Encyclopedia" is not at all the same as in the
UK and the US.
The Larousse and the Robert are both combined dictionaries &
encyclopedias, in fact my copy of the 1-volume Petit Larousse says
"Dictionaire Encyclopedique".
The first half is the "dictionary", but this includes "dictionary
definitions" as well as "encyclopedic knowledge", with pictures (for
example of trees, cathedral layout, architecture, etc.) .
The 2nd half is people, places, works: Proper nouns.

Larousse do a "pure" dictionary too, but it is seen much less often.

Perhaps this explains the tendency on fr: to include dictionary topics.