[Wikipedia-l] Case sensitivity

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Thu Oct 3 12:20:04 UTC 2002

Khendon wrote:
> Why are article names case sensitive? There doesn't seem a good reason for
> it - multiple articles that differ in case would be unnecessarily confusing.
>
> Changing it to be case insensitive would make it simpler to get links
> right, reduce the need for redirects, and just generally (as far as
> I can see) be a Good Thing.
>
> I'm sure there's arguments against that I can't see - what are they?

Mainly that we'd have to think up a clean way to define the "official"
display case of the title, and use it consistently, and change it when
it's wrong. Simply Capitalizing The First Letter Of Every Word Like Most
Of The Non-English Wikis Have Been Forced To Deal With For Some Time Is
Not Acceptable.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)