[Wikipedia-l] spanish wikipedia

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Thu Oct 3 01:05:00 UTC 2002

Kurt Jansson wrote:
> But what guarantee do you have that e.g. the German Wikipedia is "doing
> things the wikipedia way"? And what would you do if you knew we aren't?
>
> I think it's very important that the people (often just one or two)
> working on a new international Wikipedia are already indoctrinated with
> our ideals (or have a social Wp-habitus, if that sounds nicer ;-).

I think this is an important question, and my best suggestion is to
appoint one or two ambassadors for each language, who can act as
site owners towards the other users and as translators/reporters to
Bomis and developers.  Therefore I welcome the newly set up embassies.

Maintaining the neutral point of view and avoiding copyright
violations should be the easiest part of the job.  But how strict are
the non-English Wikipedias on issues such as "Wikipedia is not a
dictionary" (not a gazetteer, not a product catalog, not a consumer
report, etc.)?  Is it or will there be a problem to assert authority
to weed out poor contributions in the small and slow-growing
non-English Wikipedias?

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)
  Aronsson Datateknik