[Wikipedia-l] spanish wikipedia

wiki pedista wikipedista at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 2 19:25:42 UTC 2002

Jimbo,
    there is people that has suggested that, if
enciclopedia libre wants to belong to the wikipedia
community again, a possibilty is to point
es.wikipedia.org to their site.
You said "I don't think that's acceptable".
I just want to make sure I understand the real
meaning of it. Is it, "in my opinion is not
acceptable,
but if the rest of the comunity, including the
developers
that will handle the techical aspect of it agree, so
will
I", or "I, as the owner of the name es.wikipedia.org
do
not agree"?

The answer is important, because that will tell the EL
people if they are dealing with the wikipedia
community,
or with Jimbo Wales, owner of wikipedia.

As for the NPOV, even it is not put so
prominently in their pages, their goal seems to me
the same us ours, create  a neutral enciclopedia,
not a collection of opinions. Probably the only think
i consider not very NPOV are some of their references
to wikipedia. If they flagrantly violate the NPOV,
as you think could happen, the enforcement would be
simply point es.wikipedia.org back to the wikipedia
server, copy the contents, do a "fork back" and clean
it up. I do not see the presence on the wikipedia
server as necessary for the NPOV enforcement, then.

All that said, I do think being in a common server
would be preferable, but a member of their community
(their current webmaster, juanan, for example) should
have developer access to the wikipedia server, to
be able to do maintenance of the software and
database,
and create their own sysops.
That should be true for all wikipedias that have
a size large enough and have a developer-type person
among them.

AstroNomer