[Wikipedia-l] Re: Policy

lcrocker at nupedia.com lcrocker at nupedia.com
Tue Oct 1 19:29:44 UTC 2002

> In general, I think that policy changes should be discussed here
> before changes are made to the policy pages...

I generally agree, but I'd mention one exception explicitly:
brand new policies for things not previously covered.  For example,
if someone knowledgeable wants to create a policy for, say,
transliteration of Kurdish names, he should just go for it, and
invite discussion afterward.  Likewise, when I added the new image
system, I pretty much created the image policy from my own
preferences with little or no discussion (it's been edited and
expanded since then).

So I think older policies should be treated as /stare decisis/,
and only changed after discussion, but newer ones should be more
freely created and freely edited until /after/ they've settled.