[Wikipedia-l] Re: Policy

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Tue Oct 1 10:31:13 UTC 2002

The Cunctator wrote:
> What I'm saying is that most changes to policy don't need to be
> discussed.

Oh, but this can't be right.  If policy isn't discussed, and people
don't read the policy pages regularly (and they don't), then the
policy pages don't have a strong impact on existing members.  The
policy pages are there mostly to orient newcomers, and to serve as a
"reference" for the rest of us to remember what some consensus was in
the past.

If you change a policy page today, I might not see it.  (I confess to
not looking at RecentChanges every day.)  Then I'll go on my merry way
doing things the "old way".

The only real policy change comes when a majority or consensus of
participants achieves a change of heart and change of mind on a
subject.

--Jimbo