[Wikipedia-l] This whole Lir and Americanization thing

Steve Callaway sjc at easynet.co.uk
Mon Nov 25 18:09:04 UTC 2002

Exactly.

I had to have a good long laugh at the spelling (and the concomitant
breast-beating surrounding the word)  of 'anglicization', however, which was
almost (but not quite) a self-defining oxymoron. If ever there was a word
which needed spelling according to standard the English orthography, that
was it.

Many non-native English speakers, amongst whom I count myself, are troubled
by assertions such as the one below: it is as unfortunate a position as a
C++ programmer suggesting that a Java programmer should stick to only
looking at and writing Java code (or vice versa). We are either creating an
encyclopaedia or we are creating an organ of linguistic propaganda. Let us
hope we attain the latter.

Steve Callaway