[Wikipedia-l] Village gai

Matt M. matt_mcl at sympatico.ca
Mon Nov 25 16:15:31 UTC 2002

> I didn't understand the "Village gai" stuff. It sounds
>like a discussion about the [[gay village]] article, which
>in turn sounds like the idea of calling parts of various
>cities "Chinatown". As in, "I went to Chinatown last night
>and ate eggrolls at a Chinese restaurant."

Let me explain: In Montreal, the [[gay village]] ([[fr:Quartier gay]]) is called Le [[Village gai]] ([[fr:Village gai de Montréal]] - no fr:articles yet). The reason I was insisting that this be spelled "gai" and not "gay" in the [[fr:Montréal]] article is because that is how it is spelt by the city government of Montreal, who more or less officially recognize it, put it on tourist maps, promote it as an attraction, etc., etc. Le Village gai is its official name, so that's how I think it should be spelt, regardless of other arguments about gai/gay.

Matt