[Wikipedia-l] Diên Biên Phû

elian elian at gmx.li
Thu Nov 21 00:33:57 UTC 2002

Bridget [name omitted for privacy reasons] <lapollutionestsimauvaise at yahoo.com> writes:

> Diên Biên Phû was a battle between the French and the Vietnamese and a
> name which is not in common usage. It is a disgrace for the Americans to
> think they can rewrite this otherwise. This name must be rendered in
> either French or Vietnamese, being a Vietnamese sympathizer I vote for
> Vietnamese, but I am willing to compromise, however this was certainly
> not an American battle.

Would you please stop this nonsense? There is no "must" in Wikipedia
except for NPOV and Copyright. Stop dictating other people what they
"must" do. I doubt if your capabilities regarding Vietnamese are any
greater than your transcription efforts of Hebrew words.

For the records: the article on Osama bin Laden is also totally wrongly
named, but even as an arabist I don't fuzz about it because I don't derive
pleasure from insisting on "political or otherwise correct spelling" and
keeping people from doing more important work.

greetings,
elian, who gets really annoyed by this ridiculous behaviour

PS:reply to wikien-l please.