[Wikipedia-l] Erik's team certification proposal

Michael R. Irwin mri_icboise at surfbest.net
Sat Nov 16 00:07:01 UTC 2002

"Poor, Edmund W" wrote:

> I'm not sure the consensus is to reject Erik's idea.
>
> Erik is still for it. And I'd like to see it happen, if we can find a way that's technically feasible and doesn't conflict with the Wikipedia's main goals.
>
> Nonetheless, Larry's idea has several advantages:
> 1. Magnus already wrote some software for it.
> 2. It doesn't require any change to PediaWiki software.
> 3. It's troll-proof.
> 4. We can start testing it any day now.
>
> Erik's idea has my support, plus the support of a few others (sorry, names escape me, it's been a hectic week).

It sounds interesting to me for general use in
information wikis but I am not certain I think
it is a good idea for the English Wikipedia at the moment.

> One way to support team certification on Wikipedia is similar to sifter:
> * Create certification teams
> * Let any team member certify any article
> * Display a list of articles, each of which is certified by every member of a given team.

Unanimity sure slows things down occasionally.

I wonder if implementing a trust metric similar to that
used at advogato.org but generalized to allow team members
to certify/scale each other and users to set their evaluation
of the team's product would work better.

This way a selection could be reported as per the weight
given by a subset of team members as modified by your
personal opinion of the team's typical results.

Regards,
Mike Irwin