[Wikipedia-l] What the front page of the wikipedia needs is a warning for children

koyaanisqatsi at nupedia.com koyaanisqatsi at nupedia.com
Thu Nov 14 15:08:27 UTC 2002

Karen wrote:
>> The front page should have a note on it in the introduction, saying
>> something like 'While the wikipedia does not condone obscenity,
articles
>> may contain adult concepts and language unsuitable for children.
Please
>> supervise your children's access.' or whatever...

Erik replied:
>I strongly object against this. This implies that the concept of
obscenity
>is generally shared, which it isn't. If you get your obscenity
warning label,
>I want my "religious content" warning label. And someone else may
want a
>warning label that Wikipedia may be offensive to people having
suffered from
>certain traumas. And maybe the creationists and anti-abortionists
want one, too.

I am not interested in endorsing RSAC in any way (or any other of the
clumsy inaccurate tools used to protect people from information on
breast cancer, anarchism, political prisoners, etc.)  Software IMHO
is not a substitute for parenting, which of course includes answering
difficult questions (lest you want them to find answers from someone
else, which children invariably will).

kq