[Wikipedia-l] What the front page of the wikipedia needs is a warning for children

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Thu Nov 14 09:27:32 UTC 2002

> Or rather, for their parents... while sex information etc seems to have
> a home in the wikipedia, parents might not be thrilled at the idea of
> Junior reading up on anal penetration, cock rings, and other 'adult'
> concepts. I know I wouldn't if it was my kids... some things are just
> not for juvenile eyes, if only because too much information leads to
> very awkward questions.
>
> The front page should have a note on it in the introduction, saying
> something like 'While the wikipedia does not condone obscenity, articles
> may contain adult concepts and language unsuitable for children. Please
> supervise your children's access.' or whatever...

I strongly object against this. This implies that the concept of obscenity
is generally shared, which it isn't. If you get your obscenity warning label,
I want my "religious content" warning label. And someone else may want a
warning label that Wikipedia may be offensive to people having suffered from
certain traumas. And maybe the creationists and anti-abortionists want one, too.

Wikipedia is an *encyclopedia*.  That implies certain things. If you don't
want your children to learn, don't allow them to read -- that is your right as
a parent. But not everyone wants children to be kept ignorant of sexual
matters (or the ideas that lead to such indoctrination to be perpetuated
uncritically).

Regards,

Erik