[Wikipedia-l] Re: Enough for now

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 12 06:57:47 UTC 2002

On Monday 11 November 2002 09:39 pm, wikipedia-l-request at wikipedia.org wrote:
> Well, folks, I've had enough for now.  I can't continue these
> conversations, because they are taking far too much of my time; I couldn't
> do them justice if I wanted to.  You also won't see me much anytime soon
> on Wikipedia itself.  I really do apologize to those (few, no doubt) who
> thought I was a positive influence recently.  I wish I had the time,
> energy, and patience to continue, and I hope you'll keep fighting the good
> fight.
>
> I will continue to work on Sifter-l, though.
>
> Larry

There were a hell of a lot of posts on Monday but that was probably due to
en.wiki being down and everybody flooding the mailing list because they
didn't have anything else to do. I'm sorry to hear that you are leaving
wikipedia proper but the fact that you are concentrating your efforts now on
the Wikipedia subset project more than makes up for your leaving.

One thing that Wikipedia lacks right now is credibility and reliability. One
thing that projects like Nupedia has is a lack of material and contributors.
The new project you are working on will add credibility to many Wikipedia
articles and thus dramatically improve their usefullness.

I look forward to working with you on this project (I'm not leaving Wikipedia
though - I really like to dabble in areas I don't have much formal training
in).

Regards,

Daniel Mayer (aka mav)