[Wikipedia-l] Re: Re: server

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 12 03:06:57 UTC 2002

On Monday 11 November 2002 06:15 pm, Brion wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Daniel Mayer wrote:
> > On Monday 11 November 2002 02:39 pm, Zoe wrote:
> > > Who locked the database, why, and when will it be unlocked?  If solving
> > > the lag problem is to make it impossible to update, what' s the point
> > > of having a wikipedia? Zoe
> >
> > Yes, an uneditable wiki is a major joke. Our articles are always readable
> > via Google cache. Could it be possible to allow editing by at least
> > logged-in users?
>
> Okay, mav, YOU try to keep the the damn site up while everybody complains
> at you. I look forward to your solution, which I expect to be ready
> and running immediately.
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

The point was that the lock went way too long. You have already explained why
- it was a goof-up your end between 12 and 24 hour time. Big deal, human
error. I was just pointing out that the lock was lasting way to long and
should be lifted by somebody with the power to do so. Everything else was
just an idea or two on how IMO a db lock should work along with a touch of
ironic sarcasm to bring my point home.

Please don't read that as being criticism - I deeply respect the work you have
done on PediWiki and as a general contributor.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)