[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia moderators and moral authority (wasRe: Repost: clear guidelines and the power to enforce)

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at epost.de
Mon Nov 11 19:46:43 UTC 2002

The Cunctator wrote:

>On 11/11/02 12:48 PM, "Poor, Edmund W" <Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com> wrote:
>

>>Your solution to the "dilemma" I posed fails to take the bull by the horns.
>>
>>Our goal is NOT to build a free Wiki encyclopedia, but rather to build a free
>>encyclopedia. Our choice of the Wiki Way is a means to the end, not an end in
>>itself.
>>

>Hardly. There's a reason this is called "Wikipedia". The Wiki software is
>what distinguishes this project from other projects such as Nupedia, which
>also had the goal to build a free encyclopedia.

Well, I myself started at the "gnupedia" project, which later changed
its name to "GNE" and vanished soon afterwards. By that time, I had
already switched to Nupedia, which still dies a lonely and forgotten
death, and came to wikipedia, 'cause that's where the action and the fun
was. Today, I seem rather attracted to the soon-to-be "Larrypedia" project.
To cut it short, my goal was always to work on a free encyclopedia. Wiki
is just the tool that got the best results so far.
It seems that's what Ed Poor feels like too. Jimbo probably as well, as
he started with Nupedia. But, we might be a minority ;-)

Magnus