[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia moderators and moral authority

Larry Sanger lsanger at seeatown.com
Mon Nov 11 17:36:58 UTC 2002

Mark Christensen wrote:

>> I want to point out a couple of things about this brief interchange. <<

>> First, it is probably not in good taste to call anyone hysterical, as
it implies that the root of mental illness is the uterus. <<

It doesn't imply that for most people (who aren't familiar with Freud),
and it has nothing to do with why I think the word was inappropriate in
this case.

>> Second, labeling Lir as a disruptive child is not particularly
productive.  I think it would better to say that Lir's behavior is often
disruptive, and that the overall impression that this behavior gives is
one of childish stubbornness. <<

I disagree, Mark.

>> My overall point is that if we are looking to find "moral authority" we
need to think and act in ways which respect human dignity, and which
encourage at least a basic level of kindness and civility. <<

So your point is that we have to treat even our trolls with kindness and
civility, and that is what will allow our productive members to be
respected and treated as if they had some legitimate authority on the
project?  I disagree completely.

Your point too is far overstated.  There is much more than we could
possibly do than simply "encouraging at least a basic level of kindness
and civility."  I do agree that we should do that.  I disagree that
calling a troll a disruptive child conflicts with that ideal; I would hope
that you'd be able to see that, Mark.  Anyway, again, moral authority
comes from *respect*, and respect is not merely given by kindness, as many
harmless milquetoasts with no opinions of their own have found out.  It is
given in addition by making useful contributions, knowing a lot about the
subject, and--this is what I think we're lacking--working in an atmosphere
in which breaking the rules has consequences that are consistently
enforced.

Larry