[Wikipedia-l] Astrobiology encyclopedia and Wikipedia

koyaanisqatsi at nupedia.com koyaanisqatsi at nupedia.com
Sat Nov 2 01:44:52 UTC 2002

Chas wrote:
>I recently noted that in the article on [[New Age]], there are several
>quote lengthy direct quotes (with attribution and permissions), but
>these quotes are 7 or 8 lengthy paragraphs long; and contain some POV
>material (as well as some incorrect material, as noted in the wiki
>commentary for the article).
>
>What is the correct approach here? Summarize with attribution?

I would reduce that drastically.  IMHO 7 or 8 paragraphs in almost any wikipedia article is too much to be "fair" use (most of our articles are probably not even 7 or 8 paragraphs long!).  It's also a backdoor to insert bias, since you can't change direct quotations.  I'd edit furiously, and summarize.  But that's just me, and you're you, so there's that.  ;-)

kq