[Wikipedia-l] file uploads

Derek Ross derekross at fisheracre.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Jun 9 22:28:36 UTC 2002

GIF is in itself a copyrighted, or rather a patented, file format.
Therefore it is just as legally problematic to upload GIF images to the
Wikipedia without permission from the patent-holder as it is to upload any
other form of copyrighted material without the permission of the
copyright-holder.

If we aren't allowing other forms of copyright material, why are we allowing
GIF materials ?  I strongly recommend that we don't in order to reduce
Wikipedia's exposure to possible legal problems.

Cheers

Derek