[Wikipedia-l] Sysop status

lcrocker at nupedia.com lcrocker at nupedia.com
Wed Jul 31 20:56:25 UTC 2002

>Yes.  I'm assuming that is the rule about making things redirects
>instead, and keeping old pages in the database to avoid 404 errors
>from search engine results.  (new junk pages with no useful content
>can be deleted safely).  MANY deletions violate this rule.

I'm probably a major offender here, so I'd like to argue that perhaps
the policy needs to be changed or clarified.  First, articles that
have no content or history should be deletable with less formality.
What we want to prevent is the loss of content.

Secondly, Wikipedia is dynamic in nature, and I don't think we should
play by the same rules as static websites in terms of keeping old
links alive.  Certainly in some cases it's warranted; if someone
moves "James Earl Carter" to "Jimmy Carter", and the old one has been
around for a long time (not just a few days), then it's reasonable to
expect that there may be external links to it and there's no reason
not to leave the redirect.  But if it is, say, a misspelling, I'd
rather just delete it.  We are under no obligation to keep our
mistakes around forever, and if someone links to it and finds it
broken, we have done him a service by forcing him to correct it.
Likewise, if someone creates a page and I think it needs a different
title, if I catch that error within a day or two and move it, I'll
just delete the old title.  There's not point in cluttering the
database with a redirect that's just a mistake, and hasn't been
around long enough to accumulate links.

And finally, anything outside encyclopedia namespace should be more
freely deletable as well.  Anyone who links to a talk page deserves
what he gets.