[Wikipedia-l] "Copyright violation" question (just the opposite of what you think)

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Wed Jul 31 09:22:17 UTC 2002

Ray Saintonge wrote:
> This points to a need for a policy on procedures when someone suspects a
> copyright violation.  I suspect that this issue will arise more
> frequently as  Wikipedia becomes bigger.  It doesn't do to have members
> deleting articles on the mere suspicion that it may violate copyright.

Well, we can start by experimenting with potential policies on
[[Duesseldorf]] and [[Great Sandy desert]], both of which are recent
additions to the wiki which include text that is duplicated verbatim
on/from an external website without a citation.

My first step was to ask in the Talk: page about source & copyright
status, noting the similarity with given URLs.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)