[Wikipedia-l] Help from a sys admin requested

Michael R. Irwin mri_icboise at surfbest.net
Wed Jul 31 07:21:27 UTC 2002

lcrocker at nupedia.com wrote:

> >Somehow in the last few weeks/months the cookie on my
> >portable has gotten messed up and I cannot remember/hack the current
> >password phrase for the wikipedia site.   My meta account still works
> >fine, apparently I never changed the password phrase there.
>
> I added your email address to your user record.  You can help me test
> out the "e-mail me a new password" function now. :-)

Many thanks Lee!  The tests I ran were successful.  Details below.

I attempted to login and then without entering the password clicked
on the "e-mail me a new password" button.   Approximately 30 seconds
later when I queried my mail the message with the password was waiting
there in the queue.   The subsequent login worked like a charm.

The second test I ran:  I logged out.  Then attempted to log back
in with an incorrect pass phrase.   I then hit the "email me a new
password" button.   Once again the message was waiting in the queue
30 seconds later.   I logged in and changed the password to a new
phrase.   Logged out and back in successfully.

Then I attempted to change my preferences via the special pages
menu at the top.   After I clicked the drag down, I looked over
the options for a few seconds and it apparently timed out and logged
me out.   This happened a couple of times before I quickly selected
preferences and hit the go button to successfully get to the preferences
instead of being logged out via a time out.

Not a major bug but it could be pretty disconcerting to a new user
and provide an incorrect poor initial impression of the robustness of
the wikipedia software.  I report the behavior here in case it is new
behavior related to the addition of the new (or at least previously
untested :) ) "email me a new password" function.

Thanks Again!
mirwin