[Wikipedia-l] Sysop status

lcrocker at nupedia.com lcrocker at nupedia.com
Wed Jul 31 06:14:02 UTC 2002

> Unfortunately, LDC never got around to porting the promote/demote
> feature of Phase II to Phase III, so Jimbo (possibly a developer)
> will have to promote you two. I'm sure nobody will object to your
> promotion.

I already did.  Any of the developers can do it directly to the
database.  I do plan to build screens for that, but I've got my head
buried in a new recent changes implementation at the moment that I
really want to get out first.

> Again I would like to restate my proposal to have an 'old hand'
> status that would allow users that have been around a while and
> are generally trusted to move pages and edit protected pages.
> Not everyone wants to have to keep up with the mailing list or
> have the burden of being seen as some type of cop just to have
> the ability to do stuff like moving pages or editing the Front
> Page. These things can't really be entrusted to totally green
> users that signed-up 5 minutes before and are totally unaware of
> our editing policies and naming conventions but I see no reason
> to deny this to longtime users.

If you want to give this out more freely (and I agree it should be),
then it will become a maintenance headache unless it's automated
somehow.  Obviously "logged in as a user" is one criterion, and then
something like having edited some number of articles over some period
of time.

> Aside.... Is the name "Pedia Wiki" used anymore? Or does our
> wikiware have no name? :-(

If you think it oughta have a name, give it one!