[Wikipedia-l] Re: Parsing

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia-l at math.ucr.edu
Tue Jul 30 22:48:52 UTC 2002

Tarquin wrote:

>TMTOWTDY I suppose...

What does that mean?

>Toby Bartels wrote:

>>I'm not about to get upset if you change by <b> to ''', however,
>>and could be convinced to follow your lead exactly if you work at it;
>>I'll only get upset if you mess with <var>, as explained in another post
>>(not yet made, or look on Jan's page).

>I change <b> around the article title in the first sentence.

I do that too.

>I haven't changed any <var> tags, though I have created formulae myself
>with '' around variables, because I'd seen it done like that.
>The $$ for <var> idea is interesting, but I don't think it will make
>formulae significantly easier on the eye in raw form.

I don't think that the '' version is easy on the eye either.
Easy on the eye would be a limited implementation of TeX
that would render the wiki input $$x^2 y = z_1$$ into HTML as
But that opens up its own whole new can of worms.
and $$x$$^^2^^$$y$$ = $$z$$__1__ would be even better.
(This won't quite work, since ^^ and __ can't be interpreted as toggles,
but I'm not sure how to deal with that right now.)

-- Toby Bartels
   <toby+wikipedia-l at math.ucr.edu>