[Wikipedia-l] Re: Parsing

tarquin tarquin at planetunreal.com
Tue Jul 30 16:51:10 UTC 2002

>Indeed. So these guys have learned SGML, HTML1, 2, 3 and 4, and probably
>type it by hand for a living, but learning the Wiki mark-up, wow, that is
>asking just too much. :-)

I do actually agree with a lot of what Steve says, but not entirely with
the conclusions. There are so many flavours of wiki, and the fusspot
within me itches to see it standardized. Yet it also allows each
individual wiki to have its own feel -- more reasons below....
The quirkiness is also seen generally as a strength, not a hindrance.
Simplicity is debateable. I find it easier to hit ' repeatedly (I'm a
pianist...) that to fiddle with < and / -- one needs SHIFT and the other
doesn't. For me, that's a guaranteed typo every time.
At least with wiki I don't need to worry about what works on IE6 /
Netscape 4.x / Opera / Mozilla ... and then MacIE, *nix browsers etc --
except of course on my own wiki where I decide what HTML tags the wiki
tags are parsed to.
I'm actually a lurker on the W3C CSS list, and it's very depressing to
see all the great ideas for CSS3 that come up, yet all the while I can't
even get CSS2 to work reliably. pot, kettle, black & so on ... ;-)

Anyway, before this wiki markup vs. HTML debate clogs the list, may I
suggest that, as far as generalities of the topic go, we <gruff northern
voice>take it outside</> to Meatball:
http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?WikiSyntax ,
http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?RawHtmlWiki
and (you're so not gonna like this one...)
http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?HtmlIsAssembler