[Wikipedia-l] Re: Parsing

Steve Callaway sjc at easynet.co.uk
Tue Jul 30 12:37:16 UTC 2002

Tarquin,

I (and probably most people I know (yeah, I live a sad life among the SGML,
XML and HTML communities)) would disagree strongly with Wiki markup on a
number of grounds. Firstly it's quirky and non-standard. The whole point of
the standard mark-up languages is that they're not difficult to learn and
carry both visual and informational order. H1, H2, H3 cannot be replicated
by wiki markup in any sense. We are also really going to need these once we
get to really large articles which require structure to the substance.

If you're worried about simplicity why not get a markup editor built into
the Wikipedia interface. Are there any wiki markup editors out there? None
that I've seen. Plenty of HTML markup editors though + source freely
available. No need to reinvent the wheel for HTML.

There is also no way (AFAIK) of escaping Wiki Markup other than by using
HTML <nowiki> xxx </nowiki> Ironic, huh?

The Wiki markup language varies from Wiki site to site. It is not uniform.
It will become ever more disparate until it becomes a total nonsense. (Think
I'm joking? have a crawl around some of the Wiki variants which are
springing up on a daily basis.)

"Ooh, we need a markup to do x!"
"Yes, we'll do that with fourteen asterisks and an exclamation mark..."
er.....

I can see why you like it. I hope you can see why I find it both inelegant
and limited.

rgds

Steve