[Wikipedia-l] Re: multi-headed VANDALS + PANIC button

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 29 17:05:43 UTC 2002

On Monday 29 July 2002 01:58 am, you wrote:
> Thinks:
> It would be interesting to know what fraction of Wikipedia users come
> from ISPs with/without valid reverse DNS lookup set up for their IP
> addresses. If the fraction from clueless ISPs is small (and it should
> be), then we could
>
> * ban customers of crap no-reverse-delegation ISPs from editing by
> default (which will capture a lot of "grey" IP addresses, too), and
> * offer suitably privileged users the option to issue the appropriate
> warning (as above)  on a per-ISP basis, based on the reverse lookup domain.
>
> Of course, things should never get this far in the first place, but
> having the tools in reserve would be nice.
>
> Neil

Whoa! I don't think we are at that point yet, but I will file your email away
for future reference. Our vandal problem is simply not bad enough yet to
warrent such drastic counter-measures. However I see no harm in looking ahead
to that eventuality, doing some research, and preparing the systems needed --
but I don't think there is any urgency yet.

What I do fear is some script kiddy with a couple dozen rotating proxies and
a ship-load of bots flooding the database with junk and overwriting 20
articles a minute. A panic button to lock-down the site would then be nice
(Sorry, I can't protect pages fast enough). Then that would give a sysop the
time needed to block all the IPs of the vandal. But again, I don't think we
are at that point yet.

We should think about different ways to optionally protect wikipedia from
these types of more sophisticated attacks. Although I would be /very/ wary of
categorically excluding ISPs when there have been no vandals from that ISP
(although that may be part of any panic button). ISPs that fail to act on our
complaints of documented vandalism are fair game as far as I am concerned
though.

--mav