[Wikipedia-l] multi-headed VANDALS

Imran Ghory ImranG at btinternet.com
Sun Jul 28 22:32:57 UTC 2002

On 27 Jul 2002, at 21:14, Daniel Mayer wrote:

> I know, we could whois the IPs and complain to the ISP but my partner
> is a tech support supervisor for Earthlink and he says that Earthlink
> does not act on these types of complaints.

It varies a lot from ISP to ISP, and also the issue involved.

> I don't know if this
> vandal's ISP will be so ambivalent. Most ISPs seem to not care what
> their users do so long as EULAs are not violated.

Most EULAs are so broad that it's hard not to violate them, bring to
the ISP the exact sections of their AUP that has been violated,
include all IPs involved with timestamps of access.

Also follow up with a phone call if neccassary.

If that fails we should set up a mechanism such that anyone
accessing the webpage from that ISP has a note attached to the
top saying "Due to a failure by $ISPName$ to take action against
an attack against wikipedia we are considering removing write
access from user coming from this ISP. Please help us to avoid
doing this by contacting your ISPs abuse department and making
your views on the matter felt to them".

When an ISPs users start complaing most ISPs buck up, I know a
few service sites which have used this technique succesfully.

Imran
--
TheOpenCD Project
Promoting Open Source on Windows