[Wikipedia-l] non-logged in users using upload utility

Karen AKA Kajikit kaji at labyrinth.net.au
Sat Jul 27 09:01:03 UTC 2002

Pierre Abbat wrote:

> On Friday 26 July 2002 04:52, Stephen Gilbert wrote:
> > There are also many good contributers who choose not
> > to obtain a login for one reason or another. I'd
> > rather let these people upload files. Besides, if we
> > block non-logged in uploads, our abuser will just get
> > a login.
>
> Google isn't going to get a login, and our upload page is still #2 on Google,
> which is how the junk uploaders are finding it. So new abusers won't get
> logins - they won't find Wikipedia to begin with.

I've got the feeling that the fact that the Wikipedia Upload Images page
shows up so high on Googles' ranking of image upload pages is a VERY BAD
THING. It encourages people who have never heard of the wikipedia to
think 'oh great, this is a free storage space for my pics of my
cat/dog/canary/naked fiance :)

IMO, it shouldn't hurt people if we demand that they are logged in to
upload images. At least that way they have to have taken the time to
register and to maybe find out what the wikipedia is all about before
they start uploading trash or copyrighted images wilynily.

--

Karen AKA Kajikit

You can take the dragon out of Alfandra, but you can never take Alfandra
out of the dragon (or the Kitty)...

Come and visit my part of the web:
Kajikit's Corner: http://Kajikit.netfirms.com/
Allergyfree Eating Recipe Swap: