[Wikipedia-l] Image question

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Thu Jul 25 03:55:02 UTC 2002

Pierre Abbat wrote:

>On Wednesday 24 July 2002 22:14, Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
>
>>Does the Image: namespace still contain ALL the images used in ALL the
>>differerent language versions of the wikipedia?

Not by a long shot. A lot of stuff used on the other wikis (and some
used on the English) is on http://meta.wikipedia.com/.

Incidentally; _should_ we have a convenient procedure for sharing images
between language wikis using a variation of the [[image:foo]] syntax?
Most images are photographs or don't contain (or don't need) any
language-specific text, and it doesn't make a lot of sense to have
25-odd copies of every one.

>> I'm looking at orphaned
>>images and wondering what to do about the large number of orphans with
>>labels/captions/titles in languages other than English. Do I just
>>pretend they're not there?
>>
>>eg. 'auge.gif' - a German diagram of the human eye, with labels. Looks
>>like it comes from a textbook.

As noted in the image page, that's used in [[de:Auge]]. It's exactly the
same as the image in the English article [[Eye]], with the text
rewritten in German.

>>'angulorecto.png' - a Right Angle, labelled in a language I can't
>>identify.

Spanish. A local copy of the same image is used on enciclopedia.us.es.
(I note that there's no text *in* the image; feel free to use it to
illustrate a new English article [[Right angle]].)

>Brion Vibber left this link on my talk page:
>http://leuksman.com/misc/wikisearch.php
>angulorecto.png does not appear to be used anywhere, though the word occurs
>on the Esperanto Wiki.

Yes; note that a bunch of images are indirectly linked to from
[[eo:Brion VIBBER/Dezirataj]], where I have a list of images on www. and
meta.wikipedia.com that could be used in articles on that wiki, but
mostly aren't yet.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)