[Wikipedia-l] Recent changes page

Stephen Gilbert canuck_in_korea2002 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 24 12:16:12 UTC 2002

--- lcrocker at nupedia.com wrote:
> The tricky one is consolidating multiple edits to a
> page into one
> entry on the Recent Changes page, the way UseMod and
> Phase II did.
> This is a big performance hit.  Perhaps a later
> redesign of the
> database would make it more reasonable, or perhaps a
> new
> implementation will come to mind that cures the
> problem, but for now
> I just don't want to burden the server with extra
> work for what is,
> to me, a cosmetic change that doesn't add
> functionality.

It's not a cosmetic change for me. Having the changes
on the same article consolidated makes Recent Changes
usable. The current setup makes it impossible for me
to quickly scan the page for changes I might be
interested in; my eyes trip over the seventeen changes
in a row made to one particular article.

-- Stephen Gilbert