[Wikipedia-l] Recent changes page

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 24 00:24:58 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 23 July 2002 03:41 pm, LDC wrote:
> Along those lines, I've had enough requests to restore the "show only
> new changes" feature, and that feature can actually speed up the
> database query, so I plan to put that back.

Coolness -- much thanks!

> The tricky one is consolidating multiple edits to a page into one
> entry on the Recent Changes page, the way UseMod and Phase II did.
> This is a big performance hit.  Perhaps a later redesign of the
> database would make it more reasonable, or perhaps a new
> implementation will come to mind that cures the problem, but for now
> I just don't want to burden the server with extra work for what is,
> to me, a cosmetic change that doesn't add functionality.

Please don't significantly compromise performance for cosmetics no matter
what anybody says or pressures you to do (including me). I know I offered
this idea as a feature request but my intent was to gain some of the article
edit organization that the previous software had and I hadn't a clue about
the performance hit you mention. But since you are going to reimplement "show
only new changes to articles" I don't think the grouping feature would be
worth any significant performance hit.

--mav