[Wikipedia-l] Re: Cologne Blue

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Wed Jul 24 00:00:59 UTC 2002

tarquin wrote:
> lcrocker at nupedia.com wrote:
>> It's pretty straightforward to write a new skin now--check out
>> the files "SkinCologneBlue.php" and "cologneblue.css" from the
>> code.  I tend to agree that we need one that looks clean like
>> Cologne Blue but that's more usable.
>>
> I''ll have a go at trying a redesign -- but a few questions:
> * do I need permission of the original designer, or are template designs
> GFDL/GPL too?

The code is all GPL. Which technically means you can't put the code into
Wikipedia articles, as the licenses are incompatible. ;)

> * is the code open? Do I need to be given access?
> * last dumb question (honest!): where do I get it from?

The whole thing is available by anonymous CVS hosted at Sourceforge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wikipedia, click on "CVS". You want
module "phpwiki", the current stuff is in the "newcodebase" subdirectory.

If you want to submit changes, you can send a diff to the Wikitech list
(wikitech-l at nupedia.com), or sign up for a Sourceforge account if you
don't have one and ask Magnus to give you developer access to the CVS
repository.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)