[Wikipedia-l] Years in review and the need for editorial judgement

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Mon Jul 22 16:15:29 UTC 2002

Brion VIBBER wrote:
> The difference is "every encyclopedia and newspaper *editor*". We're
> giving every crank off the street his own shot at the presses and
> politely asking him to clean up after the mess the last crank left.
>
> It works surprisingly well. :)

Yes.  I'm telling you, I never cease to be astounded that it works *at
all*.

Really, and I've said something similar before, this is the most
idiotic and foolhardy way I can think of to run a website.  It can't
possibly work.  Just go onto Usenet or any mailing list, and just imagine
if those screaming fanatics could edit each others' work.  It's just
impossible, and it can't possibly work.

But it does.  The experience has changed my perspective on human
nature.

--Jimbo