[Wikipedia-l] Lots of broken picture links :(

Karen AKA Kajikit kaji at labyrinth.net.au
Sun Jul 21 23:06:12 UTC 2002

Pierre Abbat wrote:

> On Sunday 21 July 2002 04:06, Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
> > I wondered why I was seeing a lot of VERY big pictures with no articles
> > linking to them and I've just realised why they're there. In the old
> > wikipedia, some people were manually encoding a link into their page to
> > take you from the thumbnail of an image to the fullsized version, and in
> > the transfer to the image: namespace all of the links have been broken.
> >
> > Looking at these images somebody badly needs to downsize them too - some
> > of them are over a megabyte in size.
>
> There is a bug in the orphan pictures page. After you get to the Z's, it
> starts over with pictures that appear on one page.

Actually I noticed something rather strange. A lot of these orphan
images are actually linked, but not in the form that the pedia seems to
expect - they have a text link on the entry page with 'click here' or
'fullsized image' which takes you to the actual url for the picture.
Apparantly the software can't recognise the links even though they're
there.  Not sure whether this is something that should be addressed...
and that doesn't change the fact that some of these images are MASSIVE -
they still need to be better compressed! Nobody wants to download an
image that's two screens wide on a 19inch monitor and more than a
megabye in size... do they?

--

Karen AKA Kajikit

You can take the dragon out of Alfandra, but you can never take Alfandra
out of the dragon (or the Kitty)...

Come and visit my part of the web:
Kajikit's Corner: http://Kajikit.netfirms.com/
Allergyfree Eating Recipe Swap: