[Wikipedia-l] Ideas on improving image history

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 21 09:38:40 UTC 2002

Here is a copy of a recent feature request I made. The last part of this
feature request would need list approval so I am copying the request here:

In the past I have provided very important source information to the summary
field provided when uploading an image (alas, now this is gone from the log
-- where is it?). It would be /very/ useful and important to have this same
text become part of the image's history.

It seems odd that this isn't now the case: Logically, uploading an image
"creates" the image in the database so whatever is said in the summary field
at that time should be entry #1 in the image's history, no?

In addition, for one image we have; the image history, the history of edits
to the image page and the uploads log -- which is a bit confusing. I'm not
sure how to remedy this particular thing though....

http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/Wikipedia:Upload_log

BTW, it is way cool that URLs in the upload summary fields now are active.
Perhaps we should encourage (maybe even require...) uploaders to provide a
weblink to the media's source /if/ that media were obtained from another
website. This would make checking for copyright compliance a snap.

--maveric149