[Wikipedia-l] Re: New server online?

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Sun Jul 21 08:25:14 UTC 2002

Toby Bartels wrote:
> Brion Vibber wrote:
>>To hazard a guess, IE was preserving the IP address for the former
>>www.wikipedia.com (130.94.122.195) in some sort of cache. The new
>>www.wikipedia.com (130.94.122.197) has the new live server.
>
> When I try it at 130.94.122.195, I get an error page with a Nupedia logo.
> But if you copied down the wrong IP #, then that seems reasonable.

130.94.122.195 is shared between a bunch of named virutal servers;
you'll only get Wikipedia out of it if your browser tells the server
that it's expecting to talk to "www.wikipedia.com".

> A suggestion then:
> Somebody with the appropriate access should go to the original IP #
> and edit the main page so that it tells people that the IP # changed,
> and urge them to take appropriate corrective action.
> There must be others besides me thinking that the site is still down.

On that note; is there a way we can still (deliberately) access the
read-only old wikipedia (eg, to check out reports of articles with
missing edit histories)?

To answer my own question: yes! http://old.wikipedia.com/ (but you have
to put the "old" in after every click; it's still configured to provide
every link with the "www" in the URL. Lee, can you change that?)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)