[Wikipedia-l] Re: Creating redirects for spelling mistakes

Karen AKA Kajikit kaji at labyrinth.net.au
Sun Jul 21 05:58:36 UTC 2002

Stephen Gilbert wrote:

> --- Pierre Abbat <phma at webjockey.net> wrote:
> > case, I
> > >
> > > [[Colombus]] is arguably a variant spelling, not a
> > misspelling.
> > > But [[Idendity]] certainly shouldn't redirect to
> > [[Identity]],
> > > since [[Identity]] doesn't even exist!!!
> >
> > "Colombus" could just as easily be a typo for
> > "Colobus". I think we shouldn't
> > be making disambigs for typos, so the page should be
> > deleted.
>
> I agree, disambigs for typos would be a bad idea.
> Redirects for common misspellings have proven useful,
> however. If a person typed "colombus" but meant to
> type "colobus", they would end up at the wrong page
> with or without a redirect.

The way I look at it is this - I am a reasonably good speller, but I am
dyslexic and there are some very common mistakes that I make often -
confusing 'a's and 'e's in words, ommitting or adding double letters
where they dont' belong... and if I realise that I have misguidedly
tried to link to one of these words then I make it into a redirect
because it's not a rare mistake. On the other hand, there's not much
point in redirecting more than half of the misspellings or it'll get too
confusing. Someone once suggested a special type of redirect
''misspelling of'' that would differentiate between alternative names
for something (like Alexandre Dumas and Alexander Dumas) and
misspellings (margarine and margerine - one of my most-confused
words...).

--

Karen AKA Kajikit

You can take the dragon out of Alfandra, but you can never take Alfandra
out of the dragon (or the Kitty)...

Come and visit my part of the web:
Kajikit's Corner: http://Kajikit.netfirms.com/
Allergyfree Eating Recipe Swap: