[Wikipedia-l] Public domain image resources + metadata w/o the data

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 20 01:59:25 UTC 2002

If you haven't already, please everybody check out what a couple of users
have cooked up at [[Public domain image resources]]. This has got to be one
the the best organized recourses of this kind I have seen -- with categorized
links to great images. I can't wait for the new software to get online so
that some really interesting things can be done with the image:namespace
(like extended descriptions of what the image is of -- along with the bare
basics of attribution, date taken, where and copyright info).

BTW, the new software does not display the image (data) at the
image:namespace (metadata container) which seems to counter some pretty
standard style "conventions" for the web. Usually when a image of a photo is
clickable, clicking on the "thumbnail" will take the person to a larger
version of the same image. Now I know that much isn't really practical and
goes against what the image:namespace is for (display of metadata), but
wouldn't it at least make some sense to have a non-clickable display of the
same image on the image's image: page? When I first clicked on an image to
test this feature it took me a minute or two to find the link to the image.

If copyright and attribution and other such information (metadata) is going
to be in the image's image: page then it is only logical to have the image
(data) there too by default.

In addition, I do forsee people wanting to print out images hosted on the
server; shouldn't the info contained within the image page (metadata) also be
printed with the image (data)? Of course there is nothing stopping me or
anyone else from adding the image to the image's image: page, but then the
displayed image will be clickable and lead the visitor right back to the same
page (circular link).

I also forsee, given the current setup, that people will start to turn
image:namespace pages into places where they simply will place larger
versions of the same image -- which I'm not sure was the intent (but will
make perfect sense to many visitors and newbies -- may even be pretty darn
useful for any description there -- so long as all the metadata is the same
for both sizes of the image). I rambling again, so I will stop now...

--maveric149