[Wikipedia-l] GPL Photos

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Thu Jul 18 23:15:14 UTC 2002

Imran Ghory wrote:
> Could someone who can read French have a look at the GPL
> Photo gallery at http://gnuart.net/, and add the categories to the
> photo resources page ?

Hmm, the images at that site are licensed under the GPL. Is that
sufficiently compatible with GFDL for our purposes? The conditions for
use says:

   All the artworks that you'll find on this site are under the GNU GPL
   license. As explained on our site http://GNUArt.org, you can freely
   download and distribute them as you will, solely under the following
   conditions:

   * The resulting work absolutely must be under the GNU GPL license.
   * For distribution, it must include a notice to that effect
     accompanied by a link to the site http://GNUArt.org.

(We can't necessarily _guarantee_ that there'll be a link to the
original site, though that can't be guaranteed by the GPL, either.
Nonetheless it's always a very good idea to include a credit and link
for the provenence of photos -- it's not only polite, it provides a
trail to follow in case someone later disputes the rights.)

Theoretically the same issue could come up with including, say, source
code from a GPL'd piece of software. If you just quote a portion of code
to critique or demonstrate something, that's fine under fair use in any
case, but if we're using the whole thing?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)