[Wikipedia-l] Another copyright question

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Jul 18 18:19:35 UTC 2002

Julie Hofmann Kemp wrote:

>Hi all --
>
>Verlag Bautz, a German printing house, has a totally cool website, the
>"Kirchenlexicon."  It invites contributions, but is also clearly marked
>with a copyright (2001).  My question...are direct translations of
>entire articles, even when credited, fair use?  I'm pretty sure that
>they are not -- I know they wouldn't pass muster at the university copy
>center...
>

>Opinions?
>
>J Hofmann Kemp,

Generally they would retain their copyright, but the fact that they
invite contributions does open the question of who owns the copyright,
the site owner or the author.  Putting a copyright notice is not
essential to establishing a copyright.  That concept was taken from a
uniquely U.S. law, and I believe that the U. S. has since abandoned that
requirement.

Fair use would only apply when you are using something for personal or
research purposes.  Posting your translation to Wikipedia would not fall
in that category.

If you translate something, even illegally, that gives rise to a whole
new copyright, and if the owner of the original language work wants to
use your translation, he must have your permission.

One thing to keep in mind is that it the work that is copyright, not the
information in the work.  It does not matter that the copyrighted source
may be the only source for the information.  Rewriting the material in
your own words instead of translating it would not be a breach of
copyright.  The distinction between rewriting and translating could be a
matter of some considerable debate!

Eclecticology