[Wikipedia-l] Jennifer's dresses

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Tue Jul 16 21:40:22 UTC 2002

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Pierre Abbat wrote:

> She was asked to stop uploading them if she couldn't prove that they are
> public domain, and she apparently has left.

Without knowing the details, this sounds to me like the surest way to make
people give up and leave the project. For a volunteer who invests a lot of
energy in making a contribution, it is very easy to lose all that energy.

Please consider this when you think people make mistakes in their
voluntary contributions.  It is much more useful to inform them about ways
they can improve their contribution, than telling them to stop doing what
they are doing.  Open new doors instead of closing doors in their face.

If a copyright owner would complain (did this ever happen?), only Jimmy
is at risk, so the rest of us really don't have to play police.  No, I'm
not suggesting that we should pirate copy contents to the Wikipedia.  We
should follow all the rules and laws that there are.  But don't play
police if you aren't one.  And if you are, don't use excessive violence.
Volunteer souls are fragile and cannot take much beating.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)
  tel +46-70-7891609