[Wikipedia-l] Re: City, state convention

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 14 19:30:46 UTC 2002

Hum, I just read the [[Shikoku, Japan]] article. I seemed to have forgoten
from sixth grade geography that Shikoku is one of the islands of Japan. It
therefore does not at all pertain to the city naming conventions.

I would personally prefer such a large geographic entity to be not
disambiguated, esp. in a way that makes it appear as if it were a city (other
uses could be covered in a disambiguation block). Trouble is, which is the
most widely used use of the word -- the dog breed, the island or something
else I'm missing? Since there is no specific naming convention covering this,
the standard give and take of general disambiguation will have to be
followed.

I just did a google search. <Shikoku Japan -dog -breed> got over 60,000
results and <Shikoku dog breed> got only 697 results (<Shikoku dog> got less
than 10,000). Clearly [[Shikoku]] should be where the article on the island
should be (as I hoped). A link to [[Shikoku (dog breed)]] can be in a
disambiguation block at [[Shikoku]] (is this breed of dog know by anything
other than simply "Shikoku"? It would be a shame to have to needlessly use
parenthetical disambiguation).

--maveric149