[Wikipedia-l] Re: City, state convention

Karen AKA Kajikit kaji at labyrinth.net.au
Sat Jul 13 23:10:13 UTC 2002

Daniel Mayer wrote:

> The trouble is, that new contributors tend to first follow famous examples
> before looking into [[wikipedia:naming conventions]] (usually looking at and
> contributing for cities in their own country first). So the most famous
> examples have to be disambiguated too. W can't have naming conventions
> without at least some kind of logical consistency for naming similar types of
> things. Redirects can take care of the oddities like Paris so as not to break
> any links.

Consistency of formatting is the number one most important thing to
maintain. If some of the links are [[Fred Nerk City]] and some of them
are [[Fred Nerk City, Swaziland]] and some of them are [[Fred Nerk City
(Swaziland]] then it's just plain confusing. Sure there may be only one
Fred Nerk City in the world but like Mav said we can't expect everyone
to know that... It's like the Years templates - there isn't really any
likelihood that there'll need to be specific articles for 536BC AND
537BC but the articles were made anyway because the standard year
template allowed for links to them.

Now that we have the format in place for cities whenever we see a city
entry that's just under the name we need to move it to [[City, Country]]
to keep the consistency going. The redirect will take care of anyone who
is just looking for the city name if there is only one place by that
name.

--

Karen AKA Kajikit

You can take the dragon out of Alfandra, but you can never take Alfandra
out of the dragon (or the Kitty)...

Come and visit my part of the web:
Kajikit's Corner: http://Kajikit.netfirms.com/
Allergyfree Eating Recipe Swap: