[Wikipedia-l] Re: City, state convention for Australian cities

Karen AKA Kajikit kaji at labyrinth.net.au
Thu Jul 11 22:25:42 UTC 2002

Lars Aronsson wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jun 2002, Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

> The policy to stick to is "make it easy to link to".  The only country
> that I know uses a "city, state" notation on regular basis is the USA.
> Phrases like "Chicago, Illinois" and "St Petersburg, Florida" are
> familiar and can easily be used in other articles that need to link to
> them, but "Sydney, Australia" and "Stockholm, Sweden" just sound silly
> in any text.  It would be as strange as "floppy, computer device" or
> "cheese, food item".  Writing [[Sydney, Australia|Sydney]] is not a good
> solution.

I don't think it sounds silly... sure within the context of a single
country it's wierd and wouldn't be used, but when you're talking
worldwide then it's quite normal to use the country name as well as the
city just as an identifier. You want to make it obvious to people who
are ignorant just where Sydney is, and if they don't know where
AUSTRALIA is then the situation is hopeless and you can just give up
:)Lars Aronsson wrote:

--

Karen AKA Kajikit

You can take the dragon out of Alfandra, but you can never take Alfandra
out of the dragon (or the Kitty)...

Come and visit my part of the web:
Kajikit's Corner: http://Kajikit.netfirms.com/
Allergyfree Eating Recipe Swap: