[Wikipedia-l] what's being done about performance?

Tim Chambers tbchambers at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 11 20:27:50 UTC 2002

Maybe I just haven't noticed the appropriate messages sent to this
list, but it seems to me that progress reports have been spotty. Is
there discussion going on somewhere else?

I'm very bummed. I try to pepper my postings at K5 with links to the
'pedia, but today I couldn't even get to the main page. I had to link
to archives.org instead [1]. I would have preferred to put that
high-quality off-site link [2] in the 'pedia Titanic article and
linked to it instead of [2]. :-( (Breaking News: While composing this,
I was finally able to get to wikipedia.com and make the edit.)

I'm deeply saddened that Wikipedia is a victim of its own success, but
I also want to praise Jimbo, Magnus, Lee, and all the others who've
supported the project technically. I'd offer to help right now, but I
have other commitments for the next couple of weeks... I'd just like a
way to stay abreast of developments.

<>< Tim

[1] see the Titanic link at
http://www.kuro5hin.org/comments/2002/7/9/04416/40645/222#222