[Wikipedia-l] possible explanation for Spanish 'pedia fork; plus some thoughts...

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Wed Jul 10 21:06:02 UTC 2002

Imran Ghory wrote:
> That way the machines running wikipedia wouldn't be under the
> control of one organization/company, this also has the advantage
> that the cost of hardware/bandwidth/etc would be distributed.

I'm not opposed to this, but from a technical point of view, it is
complex to do it in a robust way.  I.E., with a central URL, we don't
get links to things that disappear, etc.

Also, the cost of bandwidth/hardware/etc is not that high.

> As for the donations, it might be possible to bring wikipedia under
> the wings of an already non-profit organization which everyone
> trusts (maybe FSF, FSF Europe, Ibiblio, or one of the open source
> education groups) that way we could get tax-free donations without
> the problem of setting up our own non-profit.

This is possible, but we would be giving control away from our
community, to another organization which might have different goals,
and might not respect our ways.

--Jimbo