[Wikipedia-l] How do I add a photo/image to an entry?

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Wed Jul 10 10:49:50 UTC 2002

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
> I've got some fairly good photos of Australian native plants etc that I
> want to add to the appropriate entries, but I don't have a clue how to
> do it.

First, if necessary crop & size the photos to an appropriate size for
the web. Save as a JPEG file; if you want, tweak the compression
settings to achieve a nice balance between small file size and good
image quality. The file name should preferably be reasonably descriptive
(say, the name of the plant) but not too long; try to avoid funny
characters or punctuation beyond ".", "_", and "-".

Now, go to the Upload page: http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/special:Upload
and follow the directions there to upload the file to the server. In the
"description" box, you might mention which article you plan to use the
image in.

Once the file is successfully uploaded, find it in the list on the
upload page or the uploads log (the upload page is sorted oddly, so it's
easier to find your file in the log -- [[log:Uploads]]). Click on the
name of your file, and if everything has gone well, you should be
greeted with your picture.

In your browser's location bar there should now be the URL for the image
(something like http://www.wikipedia.com/upload/someimage.jpg). Copy
that URL, and paste it into an article at the point where you want the
picture to appear.

That ought to do it...

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)