[Wikipedia-l] Introduction; OpenContentList project announcement

Tim McCormick tjmccormick2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 10 02:59:16 UTC 2002

Wikipedians--

I've been following Wikipedia and Nupedia for a while,
so wanted to
delurk, thank everyone for the most interesting work
going on here,
and describe two closely-related projects on which I'm
working.

First, OpenCritic.org, an early-stage initiative whose
goal is to build
"a universal, public, open, and extensible database of
critical information
-- reviews, articles, lists, and bibliographic data."
I am interested in
focusing on critical/bibliographic data, and creating
information
exchanges with other projects, such as Wikipedia or
FreeDB, that are
developing libre data resources. More project
information is available at
http://www.opencritic.org.

Secondly, I have started a site and mailing list
called OpenContentList,
for news, articles, announcements, and discussion of
Open Content issues
in general. It is an outgrowth of an extensive Open
Content resources page
I've been compiling and maintaining for the last two
years or so
(see http://www.opencontentlist.com/resources). My
goal is to provide a
bit of a watering-hole and announcements board for the
large and growing
community working on what I'd call Open Content
projects -- from
Wikipedia to Creative Commons to public-domain
bioinformatics; and to
help disseminate the news and developments to a wider
community of
technologists and journalists. See
http://www.opencontentlist.com and
http://www.opencontentlist.com/about

I invite all Wikipedia participants to take a look,
and to send me any
news or announcements of Open Content-style projects.
I will try to keep
my lists as up-to-date with these, and with Wikipedia
news.

thanks,
 Tim

-----