[Wikipedia-l] New server ready for testing

Karen AKA Kajikit kaji at labyrinth.net.au
Thu Jul 4 00:25:15 UTC 2002

lcrocker at nupedia.com wrote:

> Netscape 4.X has problems with the sidebar that I'm not going
> to fix, especially a version as ancient as 4.08.  4.7 was for a
> long time a mainstay of Unix machines, so I want the system to
> be usable there, but there's two ways to do that: don't use the
> quickbar at all (it can be turned off and the site should be
> quite usable without it), and move to Mozilla, which should be
> available on all those Unix boxes now.

LOTS of people (like my whole family) use Netscape 4.7 and have no
intention of upgrading it... it may be old but it's hardly obsolete, and
I would suggest that it is not good policy to deliberately make the
pedia inaccessible to ANY major browser. I know that certain sites on
the internet are not usable in netscape and while I started running
different browsers to get to them but it's too much effort and wastes
too much time so they just don't get used.

You want the wikipedia to have MAXIMUM availability, not to lock out
about 30% of the internet using population.

--

Karen AKA Kajikit

You can take the dragon out of Alfandra, but you can never take Alfandra
out of the dragon (or the Kitty)...

Come and visit my part of the web:
Kajikit's Corner: http://Kajikit.netfirms.com/
Allergyfree Eating Recipe Swap: